Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Making of Verilettu

In case you may have forgotten what verilettu is; veri-blood, lettu-pancakes. That's right, blood pancakes, yum. And back in February my host dad taught me to make verilettu from scratch.
Here is everything needed to make the pancakes; blood (usually cow veri), flour, milk, a can of beer, fresh onion, and some different spices and things.
The last time I had eaten the pancakes way back last year with my first host family, I had gotten nightmares because I was so frightened from eating them. This time when I made them I didn't get any nightmares...but I still was a bit scared to touch the blood and eat them.
Me mixing some of the different ingridents together and holding the container that held the blood. You can buy blood at any grocery store here to make your own verilettu or of course if you go hunting you just need a bucket to collect some yourself.
Flour, onion, a little milk, and blood. All mixed together really well before it is too be cooked.
Here is the container. As the picture on the container shows, it is specially to be used for verilettu and on top of the pancakes are lingon berries which are traditionally eaten with the pancakes.
Once the batter was all mixed up, it was time to cook it. I used the wood stove to cook them. There was a pan that had circles to form the pancakes. Just drip and little of the batter into each circle and be prepared to turn them quickly. Using a wood stove cooks things very fast because it is so hot. Not only do you have to be fast in turning them, but it is really hard because the heat really affects you too, I could hardly stand in front of the stove at all, but got the job done.
And so we have verilettu all cooked and ready to go. It is super easy to make verilettu, so if you can come up with the blood in the US maybe I will make you some...or then again maybe not. Either way, if you ever get the chance, it is something different to try, then don't taste bad, you may just need to get over your fear of what they are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment