Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Finnish Hockey Game

My host dad took me and my two host sisters to a Lahti Pelican's hockey game. It was a practice game against the Swiss team; Kloden, but it was a real game none the less.
My first Finnish hockey game!
 By the end of the first period (there are three each game) the pelicans were down 0 - 3. Not the best way to start off, but I believed they could get the job done. Their goalie is only a seventeen year old which is pretty amazing, and this is still the practice season, so win or lose it would be good to see how they did.
 In the second period they started to come alive a bit and scored a point. But in the final period they really turned on the heat. There became a lot of action and it was a really good game. We were leading 4 - 3 and the crowd was estatic, then with 12 seconds left they scored on us and tied the game. I didn't know that they would go to a shoot out, but they did.
Our goalie made some good saves and in the end it was a victory for the Pelicans and I was very happy and excited too. Now I just need to wait for the real season to watch an actual game, but the practice game was a very good one. It reminds me a bit of the US woman's soccer team and their amazing comebacks.
Good game! Go Pelicans!

No comments:

Post a Comment