Saturday, August 25, 2012

Making Memories in Karkku (The First Week)

The First Week of my journey in Finland was to be spent at language/orientation camp in Karkku, Finland, near Sastamala.

Being on the last bus from the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, we arrived at the Karkun Evankelinen Opisto at around three in the morning and went straight to the office to get our room keys. There were many houses close to the school, but I was in one of the ones up a hill and on the otherside of the railroad, so quite far away in comparison. (Over the course of the week I would come to love having to go up the hill there, but you always had to plan ahead because it took awhile to get there and back). On that night a van took our luggage up to the houses and we walked after it into the darkness.
There were five rooms in my house; one for two of the Finnish counselors and four for us exchange students. I was in the lone room with three people and two of us were arriving on the late bus. I felt a bit bad because everyone in the house was fast asleep and we probably woke some people up when we carried in the luggage.
After a few hours rest, it was time to begin Day 1 of language camp.
Our house (aka Körri).
A typical breakfast from Karkku (open sandwhiches and cereal with a berry jelly; yum), this picture was actually from my last breakfast there.  After breakfast it was back upstairs for a short informational meeting and then off to three hours of lessons before lunchtime. Each day consisted of different foods at lunch ranging from meatballs to salmon to pasta, with salads and soup always avaliable and some sort of tasty desert. After lunch would be two more hours of lessons and then a coffee break before a lecture on Finnish Culture. Over the course of the week, we were given lectures on "The Finnish Way of Life", "A Year in Finland", and "School in Finland".
Throughout the course of the day there would also be time for outdoor activities including sports and berry picking.
 There are so many different types of berries all over the place; blue berries, raspberries, lingon berries. On several occasions over the course of the week, we went berry picking, but the most berries were right next to the path on the way up to our cabin. Nothing like picking a snack of fresh raspberries on your way home.
 My housemates and I had a great time waundering around the grounds and spending time down near the lake where you could go swimming.
 We even went rowing, although I will admit that I am not too good at it. I nearly ran over some other exchange students who were swimming because I was having difficulty trying to steer at first. Either way, it proved to be very fun and by the end of our time out on the water, I was actually able to row.
 Each night after lectures or outdoor activites, it was time for dinner and then sauna time. In the morning you would have to sign up early if you wanted to go to the sauna, because otherwise the spots would fill up and you wouldn't be able to go that day.
I went to the sauna twice that week, but always wore a swimsuit on instead of doing it the "Finnish Way". The first time I was in the sauna for only five minutes or so before I had to get out because it was too hot, but with time you get used to it. The best part about the sauna in Karkku was always having the lake so close by. After a few minutes in the sauna you could get out and go down to the dock to go swimming. The water was always so cold when you tried to get in, but after awhile of people saying "Dana, just come in! It isn't too bad!" I was able get in. The water was cold at first, but so refreshing. We spent much time just swimming around and having fun in the lake. I laught to think of how trying to get into a lake was difficult, because now I can only imagine how it will be with an ice hole come wintertime.
I always said to my mom that I wouldn't gain weight coming to Finland as so many exchange students do, but I'm beginning to think that I may get fattened up on Finnish suklaa (chocolate) which is so delicious. Then there is also the Finnish pancakes (like crepes) which you eat with sugar and jelly; now those are amazing, yum. Food is so good, and I've been trying everything.
In the evenings we would get some sort of fresh treat, ranging from freshly made Finnish pancakes (as in the picture above) and juice, to sausages. Then after snacktime, you could hang out by the lakeside, in the main buildings, or go back to your own homes.
Hyvää yötä! (Good Night)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment