Saturday, September 1, 2012

Backpacking in Repovesi National Park

On Friday morning, my journey to Repovesi National Park in southeastern Finland began. By 7:45am there was a group of students with their big rucksacks, gathered in our school's courtyard. We then boarded our bus just after 9:00am (because it was over an hour late) and were on our way, heading east.
First we stopped at the Finnish Army base for the Karelia Brigade, located in Valkeala. In Finland, every man must serve in the army, so we went so that the guys could see what things may look like and get some background information for when they have to go. We recieved a brief presentation on how the army looked and was sectioned, etc., then we were given a tour of one of the compounds buildings and another brief presentation. We saw tanks and I got to try a simiulation for shooting down planes. We saw where they lived and showered and where the can eat, but not the main cafeteria. We ate there and the food was actually quite cheap, only 2,70 euros for a good sandwich and doughnut which I took to give me some energy for later on in our trip.
After we ate, everyone used the bathroom for what was possibly going to be the last time until Saturday night, and then we filed back onto the bus.
 After a relatively short trip, the bus pulled into a vacant lot and let us out with all of our stuff. Now it was time for my first backpacking trip to begin, and I was so excited!
 After a short walk, we came to our first obstacle; a body of water that had a raft-like thing in which you stood on, and pulled yourself across. After about five trips with six or so people on the raft with their gear, everyone had made it to the other side and it was time to really get trekking.
 Our first checkpoint was up a hill, with a great view. Over the course of the few days, we would have fifteen different places to stop and see.
 For me, I felt that the first day was the longest and hardest, when in reality it was shorter and we didn't have to travel as far. After several hours of wandering around in the wilderness we finally stopped in at what would be our camp place. Before that, we stoppeed at an area and chopped wood for the fire. You could only take the precut logs from certain areas. I got to try cutting the wood in half with an axe, but I wasn't very successful.
Everyone traveled around in their own groups, so by the time my group arrived at the campsite, there was plenty of space to find where to pitch your tent. I was origionally going to stay with two of my Finnish friends, but someone ended up not showing up so I stayed in a tent with the exchange student from Australia, in a tent near our friends. We set everything up on our own and then it was time to build a fire and make dinner.
 For dinner I ate a pasta thing that was especially for camping. Then I taught everyone how to make American smores.
We stayed around the campfire till past 11pm when some of us decided to turn in for the night. It was so nice just talking to people and staring into the flames. The night was pretty clear too, and we had a complete view of a full moon from across the lake.
The picture above is actually from breakfast time. As you can see, I roasted more marshmellows. But don't worry, I ate some healthy food too.
 The sunrise in the morning was so beautiful. It was a bit chilly in the tent during the night, but I slept really well, and wasn't sore at all.
 At around 9:00am everything at our campsite clean and packed away, and it was time to begin our longer day of travel. My group consisted of four; my two Finnish friends, Kiia and Tytti, my Australian exchange buddy, Georgia, and me.
Many of the pathways were quite tiring going up and down, and back up and down with our heavy packs. At one point we went to an area to see some rock climbers, and were very fortunate because we were able to hide our packs in the woods instead of having to carry them all of the way there. There were so many different pathways though, it was quite nice.
One of the best stops was at Mustalamminvuori. A huge lookout tower very high up and near the edge of a cliff. I think that being an exchange student has already really changed me a lot, because I really have found that mindset of "this may be the only chance you have to do this" so, no matter how afraid I am of heights I had to take the chance and go to the top. With my two Finnish friends in front of me, I climbed the ladder-like stairs to the top, over a hundred feet above.
Something incredible happened. I wasn't afraid at all! The view was incredible and I wasn't too scared to the point that I couldn't stand because we were so high up. I was with people I trusted and that had driven me to take a chance.
 I wasn't kidding about the amazing views. You could see so much of the park from atop Mustalamminvuori. By the time I had climbed back down, I was so thrilled and proud of myself. Never before this year would I have even dared to make it to the top, it would have been a shame to miss out on this.
 We stopped later on to meet up with the rest of the campers from our school and we fixed ourselves a tasty, warm meal (another different pasta). We got lost several times on our way to this site, but ended up making it there as one of the first groups in the end.
 The last challenge before leaving the park was a suspension bridge. There really was no way around it, so following after my friends I crossed without any problems, and wasn't even afraid to look down.
 As soon as we crossed the bridge I felt like a survivor. Like a camper who had been lost in the woods and was finally being rescued. Someone who knew they would find safety just around the corner.
The trip to Repovesi really was the opportunity of a lifetime and it was so much fun too! I am a lot closer to some of my schoolmates and have made even more friends. Not to mention the nature; I was able to see one of the most beautiful areas in all of Finland.
Our trip wasn't quite over though. We stopped at Elving's Tower and got out to go up it. It was so tall! Just as you thought you had come to the last staircase, there was another one above you, stretching up nearly 20 meters into the sky. Why was the tower built? In the early 1900's, a land owner wanted to be able to keep an eye on all of his land, just in case there were hunters, etc., so he built it to keep a lookout. The tower was also an important base during WWII because it could spot any planes flying in to Finland and the military could deal with them from there.
The tower had another incredible view, and as soon as we had gotten down, something else started to happen. It began to sprinkle. We had such great luck with the weather, that it was perfect until we were leaving. I think that was the perfect ending to one of the greatest trips I will probably ever take.
I tried so many new things, saw so many stunning places, met so many new people, and had a great first time backpacking! Kiitos Repovesi ja Eräkurssi 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment