Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Beautiful Fall Colors Around Lahti (Photos)

Chances are if you see me on the street I am carrying my camera. I even take it with me when I go jogging, because you never know when something magical is going to happen. I think it's probably safe to say that the beautiful orange, yellow, and red leaves that paint the trees, and the fast moving clouds in the sky are very magical, creating a lovely (kaunis) autumn.
 In the evenings when I have langauge lessons I pass by the Lahti Teatteri or theatre. I think it's pretty safe to say that there are some beautifuly colored trees and sculptures outside of it.
 When my language lessons end I head back towards the square of town, taking my time and usually following a scenic route near my school that has all sorts of statues and trees.
Each day the courtyard at my school; Lahden Yhteiskoulun Lukio is full of bicycles. There are two buildings the new school (where there are middle school aged students) and the Museo (the old part of school built in the late 1800's, where all of the high school students study).
 This picture is from when I went orienteering on Friday at Urheilkeskus. It was such a beautiful morning looking down over the stadium of FC Lahti and back at the rest of the city.
The ski jumps were looking better than ever on Friday morning. Skiers actually practice going down them even when there is no snow because it is slick enough.
 In the morning when I wait for the bus to come (metro, not a school bus) to take me to town, I am always captivated by how beautiful the sunrise is. Finland is so far north that the clouds move so quickly, they are gone before you know it, replaced by new ones.
 My house is just at the end of the fields, the green one which is a bit hard to see, but at the end of the pathway (by the looks of the picture). The farmers have finally begun to cut down the wheat before winter comes, and by now there is nothing left there.
 The weather can be kind of dark and gloomy on occasion, but for the most part it has been nice. Perfect for getting everything ready in the garden in preparation for winter.
 When I am out walking our dog, there is sometimes a very dark, scary looking sky, but even still it is light and captivating.
 Another beautiful morning after some rain in the night; waiting at the bus stop.
 A statue just across from the town square, which I see everyday while I am waiting to take the bus home.
 This is the school for adults, where I take my langauge classes at night on Mondays and Thursdays. They also offer many art classes, handycrafts, sports, dance, music, and all sorts of other cultural classes, so maybe later on in the year I will take some other different courses there.
 It's been said that when there are lots of berries in the trees, it means that there is going to be a rough winter. Whether or not this is actually true, we shall see. There have been many of these berries in the trees all over town. And no, these are not the tasty edible ones that can be found in every forest.
 Earlier in the month, Lahti had a special art thing going on down at the square. This is a picture I took of one of the art arches with the church next to my school framed in the background.
And here at last is the square. Each day there are people there selling their wares; fruit, mushrooms, leipa (bread), kahvi (coffee), sweets, etc. Every first Wednesday of the month also happens to be a huge day with so many more vendors (it's just a tradition that there are more vendors then). I love being at the square, it's also very nice, because I go there almost everyday thanks to my bus stop.

There are so many pictures and things to do and see here in Lahti. I hope you enjoyed getting to see a brief look at some of the things I see on a daily basis, and some of the beautiful changes associated with the season. Kiitos ja hyvä päivä!

No comments:

Post a Comment