Sunday, October 14, 2012

Finnish Foods & a Special Visitor

Last weekend was a bit hectic. On Saturday (Lauantai), my host grandma on my mom's side came and visited from Savonlinna, and my host dad also got back from a work trip to Düsseldorf, Germany.  My host grandma spent the night and then went home on Sunday (Sunnuntai), and that night my host mom left to Kuopio. It was nice to see my host grandma again and see how she was doing. I really like how things are so family oriented here, and it reminds me a lot about my family back in the U.S., even though everyone lives so far from one another.
Helmi and I spent most of Saturday night trying to figure out how to do some wooden puzzles brought from Germany. There are only about five or six pieces for each puzzle, but they are so hard! She figured out 3 of the 6, while I could only figure out two. The other ones are still a mystery....they have to be missing a piece!
Each weekend, we also cook delicious food and desserts.
 On Sunday my host dad and sister's were in the mood for some Christmas food, so they taught me how to make a simple Christmas dessert. All you need is some dough that you thaw out and then you cut each rectangle in half. From there you make four cuts in each square of dough so that it makes a bit of a pinwheel shape.
 Next you put a dab of plum sauce on the center and then fold the dough into the center so it looks like a star/pinwheel. The last step before putting it into the oven is to brush a layer of egg over the top of each treat and then it's ready to cook.
 I'm not sure that I consider a plum/prune bread to be much a dessert, but it sure tastes good and is an easy Christmas treat to make.
 During the week, leftovers pile up and a new question is posed; how to get rid of them? To make pizza of course! We made two different pizza's. For one, I chopped up the rest of our tenderloin and then we put pineapple, peppers, mushrooms, cheese, onions, olives, etc. On the second one we used up the rest of our salmon and also shrimp, with pinapple, cheese, onions, olives, dill, etc. Though I was a bit afraid to try them, the pizza's were actually really tasty, but I will admit that even though it was good, the fish one was still a little strange to me.
 When my host grandma came, she brought a newspaper with two of my cousins in it. They are both really into orienteering and do different competitions on occasion too.
 On the left is my cousin Henna, who came to visit us last month and is very friendly.
 And here is another one of my cousins, Mikko.
 It was a beautiful night; red sky in the night, sailors delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment