Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Australian Cooking & Wintertime

Just before Christmas break, it was time to finish up baking all of the Christmas foods and goodies, and getting all of the decorations up around the house
A few days after we picked out our tree, we brought it inside and put some ornaments on to it. There weren´t too many ornaments to hang on the tree this year,  because things are more "styled" and have less than more. I miss putting so many ornaments up onto the tree, because I personally love having all sorts of ornaments, covering the tree almost entirely.
My school here in Finland had a special ceremony in church on Saturday for Christmas and then Christmas carols back at our school afterwards. Sometimes here in Finland, there is school on Saturday´s to make up for getting other days off, and so this was one of those rare Saturday´s. I was a bit sad though, because I didn´t get to go, because I was on my way to Utsjoki.
Anyways, the night before, I went over to Georgia´s house and she taught me how to make a traditional Australian treat; rum balls.
The rum balls are really easy to make. All you need are cookie/waffers to crush into little pieces, condensed milk, coconut (but you hardly notice that, whether you like coconut or not they are very tasty), and of course some rum for flavoring.
You can´t really seen the rum balls in this picture above, but oh well. They were so tasty and something I will make again in the US for sure.
A snowy picture of the Lahti history museum. The city looks absolutely stunning covered with snow. During my freetime, I spend quite a lot of time outside in the fresh air, just wandering around and enjoying the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment